Holistic vets have been sending us some interesting reports about the benefits of CBD oil for dogs in their care …
A senior Staffordshire Terrier had a 6cm mammary tumor and metastasis that disappeared in 3 months and didn’t come back …
A Jack Russell Terrier had a severe heart murmur and painful arthritis and, after a month, he wanted to go for long walks and his murmur was much improved …
These are two examples of from Australian vet Edward Bassingthwaighte. “I simply can’t explain the improved heart murmur” says Bassingthwaite. “They normally don’t get better.”
CBD Oil For Dogs: What You Might Not Know
The results seem to be in … researchers are turning their attention to this herb. So far, they’re finding there’s lots to like. And just as CBD has helped humans, your dog can reap the same health-boosting benefits.
Let’s look at the 10 things you might not know about this often misunderstood herb and the research that shows its promise in helping dogs with a variety of common health issues …
1. CBD Is Not Psychoactive
CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis. It’s this compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are just that … the beneficial CBD without the THC. And they typically come from hemp, not marijuana. In short, your dog won’t get “high” from CBD oil … he’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication. Speaking of relaxation …
2. CBD Oil Reduces Anxiety
Does your dog suffer from separation anxiety or noise phobias? CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans, research shows it can:
- Reduce anxiety caused by public speaking
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and people with anxiety disorders
- Be effective for panic disorders and post-traumatic stress disorders
3. CBD Can Fight Cancer
Research shows CBD oil and other substances in hemp and cannabis have have an anti-tumor effect. It has even been shown to stop cancer cells from growing and increase tumor cell death.
- Helps the immune system’s killer cells to cause cancer cell death
- Kills cancer cells by blocking their ability to produce energy
- Has anti-tumor properties that slow and inhibit glioma cell growth
- Can help increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatment.
4. CBD Can Treat Seizures And Epilepsy
Estimates suggest that up to 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most dogs with seizures are given drugs such as phenobarbital and potassium bromide. Sure, these drugs may help control the seizures. But they can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other organs. And the drugs don’t work in all cases.
CBD has been shown to work well in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, 7 of 8 patients with drug-resistant epilepsy saw a definite improvement within 4 to 5 months.
In another study, 84% of children with drug-resistant epilepsy had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
5. CBD Relieves Pain
The cannabinoids in CBD have also been shown to work well for pain. So well, in fact, that scientists are considering it as a new class of drug for the treatment of chronic pain. Studies show CBD to be very effective for reducing:
- Pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- The impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- General inflammation
- Intestinal inflammation (associated with irritable bowel disease)
6. CBD Can Help With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Animal studies show that CBD can prevent colitis (IBD) and restore normal gut motility in inflammatory bowel disease.
CBD also has antibiotic properties, including Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA).
7. CBD Reduces Chronic Inflammation And Autoimmune Disease
CBD has been shown to decrease the production and release of inflammatory cytokines. These can cause allergies, hypersensitivities and autoimmunity. It can also suppress something called Th17 dominance, a major cause of autoimmune diseases.
CBD also inhibits the production of inflammatory macrophages and decreases chronic inflammation.
CBD is also a powerful antioxidant research shows is more powerful than vitamins C and E.
8. CBD Can Protect The Nervous System And Help With Neurodegenerative Diseases
CBD shows a lot of promise for degenerative myelopathy and other spine and nerve issues. It’s also been shown to help patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimer’sand Parkinson’s disease. This is thanks to its ability to protect the brain cells from toxicity.
For senior dogs, CBD can protect the brain from cell death caused by free radicals and toxins.
9. CBD Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea
If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD may help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite.
Studies show that CBD for dogs can help with vomiting and nausea, even when they’re the result of toxins and drugs.
10. CBD Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Just as veterinarian Dr Bassingthwaighte discovered, CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can:
- reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates
- protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries
- reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety
Bonus: CBD Oil For Dogs Is Legal And Safe
With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time.
It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs. So if your dog is on medication, you might want to check with your holistic vet before using CBD.